Welcome!

This is a blog that deals with film music. Reviews, insights, updates, personal views and opinions. There is also additional information about bands and other music around the world. Thank you for viewing and please enjoy!

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Student Life

So this is my first post and I wanted to speak a little about who I am and so on. I study Film Composing at AFDA University Johannesburg, South Africa. The University, I feel, was an excellent choice even though I had the option to study at UCT (A well known and highly commendable University) where I was to study a Bmus in guitar.



The choice to do film music gives me a chance to branch out and do something unique and something that would push myself in directions I never knew existed.

So far the journey has been rather fulfilling and I meet incredible people and worked on some beautiful films, I only wish to continue on that path. Working on films is an incredible experience, I find that I create better music the more constraints that fall upon me. A film entitled In The Interest of Time, was the first action film I ever did and the need to create thick, powerful and driving music was ever present. The end result awarded my crew Best Second Year Film and a flurry of high marks. Another film that helped me push the boundaries of myself was a film called Imagine, also directed by student director Cole Matthews. The film required me to create music for several different genres while retaining a central theme throughout. The genres were Western, Modern Day Action, Film Noir and Drama. Again the film did significantly well and I learnt a great deal from the pressure of working on it and the need to create music that wasn't just another track but one that contained depth and meaning within it. I think that is something that defines a film composer above other composers - the consistent pursuit of marrying music and picture, creating a meaningful connection between the two that amplify each other to the point where one can not live without the other... at least that's what I'm trying to do.

As for this year, I wish to create the highest quality music I have made so far, to push myself further and discover my own style. My weaknesses at this point are relying on the same techniques and patterns but, looking at the films I have lined up this year, they'll push me beyond that. I'd say my strong points are that I'm willing to gather inspiration from any source and that I don't force my opinions/ideas upon people. I also never give up until I'm happy with the outcome. By the end of 2012 I wish to be comfortable working with a myriad of live performers, from vocalists and cellists to beatboxers and organists, and be comfortable recording them with my equipment. 

I hope you enjoy the rest of my blog and the posts that will be arriving shortly!

My M-Audio USB Keyboard

No comments:

Post a Comment